Sunday, September 23, 2012

Emmy Picks!

And it's time for the most exciting time of the year for a tv fan... The National Association of Television Arts & Sciences Awards for Excellence - more commonly knows as the EMMYS!

Below, please find my choices of what i think should win, not necessarily what I think will win.  

Outstanding Drama Series
Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Downton Abbey
Mad Men
Homeland
This is going to be one of the many categories where it's going to be close. If Homeland doesn't take it, I think Mad Men could get the win.  However, it's got to be said that one day I would like to see a broadcast network drama be nominated again. Will next year be the year? 

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire
Hugh Bonneville, Downton Abbey
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad 
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Damian Lewis, Homeland
This was a toughy, because I LOVE Damian Lewis, but I've been hearing ridiculous things about Bryan Cranston, and quite frankly, I'm still on the emotional high from last year's Emmys when Kyle Chandler won.  So, I'm okay if Cranston takes the win... again. 



Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Kathy Bates, Harry’s Law
Glenn Close, Damages
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Michelle Dockery, Downton Abbey
Claire Danes, Homeland 
Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men
I think Danes will take the victory, but I'd be okay with a Moss, Margulies or Dockery victory, as well.  

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad 
Giancarlo Esposito, Breaking Bad
Brendan Coyle, Downton Abbey
Jim Carter, Downton Abbey
Jared Harris, Mad Men
Another stupidly difficult category. I think it's Aaron Paul's to lose, but Esposito also had a hell of a great story/season, so the worry is that they'll split the Breaking Bad vote. Ditto for the Downton Abbey folks, so it's possible that Dinklage will take home the trophy again. Though I still think Paul will grab it.

Outstanding Comedy Series
The Big Bang Theory
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Girls
Modern Family
30 Rock
Veep
I think Modern Family will repeat (in a less stellar season), but I can also see Girls sneaking through with the win. 

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Joanne Froggatt, Downton Abbey
Christine Baranski, The Good Wife
Christina Hendricks, Mad Men 
Archie Panjabi, The Good Wife
Oh gosh, I want Christina Hendricks to win.  I really, really do.  The episode where she XXXXXX with the XXXXX, nearly killed me.  Though, this is another category, where I would be happy for any of the nominees to take home the statue.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Don Cheadle, House of Lies
Louis C.K., Louie 
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
It's time for Louis C.K. to take home the Emmy.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
Lena Dunham, Girls
Zooey Deschanel, New Girl
Melissa McCarthy, Mike & Molly
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Yes, all of the actresses are great, but Amy Poehler better win this one, or there will be riots in my corner of West End Avenue.  Yes, I said riots!
 

Outstanding Reality-Competition Program
The Amazing Race 
American Idol
Dancing With the Stars
Project Runway
So You Think You Can Dance
Top Chef
Seriously, why even have this as a category? Has The Amazing Race ever lost?  And, yet, who can tell me anything about last season's Amazing Race? 

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Max Greenfield, New Girl
Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family
Ed O’Neill, Modern Family
Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Modern Family
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Bill Hader, Saturday Night Live
Unless the Modern Family folks spread a whisper campaign that the voters should vote for one of them in particular, I think they will split the vote (though I say this every year, and I'm always wrong). I do think this is Bill Hader's year. Him or Ty Burrell.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Mayim Bialik, The Big Bang Theory
Kathryn Joosten, Desperate Housewives
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Kristen Wiig, Saturday Night Live 
Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Merritt Wever, Nurse Jackie
I would like to see a Mayim Bialik win because I do think she's breathed new life into BBT, but I think the voters are going to give it to Wiig as a good luck in the movies gesture.

No comments: